Newspaper Archive of
Feather River Bulletin
Quincy, California
August 18, 2010     Feather River Bulletin
PAGE 29     (29 of 48 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 29     (29 of 48 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
August 18, 2010

Newspaper Archive of Feather River Bulletin produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

Bulletin, Progressive, Record, Reporter ARTS and ENTERTAINMENT Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2010 13B. 'A Grave Occasiol ' cemetery tour and dinnerl By Jerry Thomas Museum trustee Special to Feather Publishing peace, county assessor, coun- ty clerk, criminal lawyer, publisher and editor of The Quincy Union, on a spiritual group tour of the cemetery. Along the way, local actors, under the direction of Terry Gallagher, mysteriously ap- pear from behind selected markers to portray some of Plumas County's more fa- mous, or infamous, charac- ters and to share their stories and a few enticing morsels of local history. Festivities start at 4 p.m. with a silent auction, old-fash- ioned lemonade, ice tea, fine wine and hors d'oeuvers. Kellogg's tour will corn- The Plumas County Museum Association will host a tour Saturday, Sept. 18, of the Old Quin- cy Cemetery as the first of several fundraisers throughout the year to help raise the $34,000 needed for the assistant museum director's salary. Join the immortal William W. Kellogg, ex-miner, constable and justice of the A view of the Quincy cemetery to the northeast, circa 1900, shows the prominent tombstone of William Wagner, Iongtime owner of Bucks Ranch before it was Bucks Lake, The grave markers for the Metcalfs, a mi'ning and sawmiiling family of Nelson Point and Cromberg, are in front and right of Wagner's stone. He came to Plumas County in 1852, from Ohio via an ox team across the Great Plains. He settled at Bucks in the 1860s and stayed there until his death in 1893. Folks can learn more about the denizens of the Quincy Cemetery at the Grave Occasion fundraiser Sept. 18 for the Plumasounty Museum. Photos,courtesy. Plumas County Museum ............ : : ., .W ,:" mence at 4:30, followed by a buffet dinner prepared by mu- seum members utilizing recipes found in the Plumas County Historical Cookbook. During dinner, there will be a reverse strip tease, dancing, music and other surprises. Organizers anticipate that this novel event will become an annual Indian summer ac- tivity with visits to other bone yards in Plumas County in future years. For a $50 ticket patrons get a dinner, social gathering at dusk in the old Quincy Ceme- tery, drinks and hors d'oeuvers, dancing, music, re- verse strip tease, perfor- mances by the county's finest thespians and the knowledge that they are supporting one of Plumas County's most im- portant facilities. Tickets are available at Epi- log Books, Plumas County Museum or from the Plumas County board trustees. Con- tact Scott Lawson, 283-B320; Jerry Thomas, 283-4231; Char- lie Brown, 283-3416; or Don Clark, 836-2586. There is only room for 60 guests, so tickets will go fast. Quincy Cemetery history The Quincy Cemetery dates back at least to the early 1850s, although no formal records have been found to give the exact date of found- ing. Historians rely on the earliest tombstones as indica- tors of its age. Of record, however, are sev- eral surviving receipts from that time period that refer to the construction of a gallows and coffin for an impending execution to be held in what was called Hangman's Ravine, running from the mountain near the cemetery. Early photos of the ceme- tery show the now stately Oaks as young slips, encircled by a white wooden picket fence,Early, efforts bautified , the site, with a caretaker managing it with funds pro- vided by the families of those interred there. Because cemeteries were often the shadiest and most pleasant spots in a town, dur- ing the 19th and early 20th centuries they often served the dual purpose of a park or picnic area for the town's residents. The Quincy Cemetery is populated with many of the movers and shakers of 19th- century Plumas County, as well as lesser-known, down- to-earth, regular, hardwork- ing citizens. Some of the more prominent folks interred there include A/'thur W. Ked- die, Plumas County surveyor and railroad visionary; William Wagner, owner and operator of Bucks Ranch years before it became Bucks Lake; Elizabeth Stark Blakesley, namesake for Eliz- abethtown; John Boyle, a Quincy attorney murdered on Main Street over the location of the county high school in 1913; James Haun, an 1850s Nelson Creek gold miner turned rancher and grandfa- ther of"Birdie" Swingle who helped create the Plumas County Museum; John Thompson, founder of the Illinois Ranch, now the Thompson Valley Ranch, one of Plumas County's legal founders and grandfather of Stella Fay Miller, the lady who left the money to build the Plumas County Museum Many more such illustrious folks rest on this now shady hillside, and many more unsung in- dividuals re, loiated without benefit of tombstones. About 1912, young Anna Foote, a Chinese girl, died and was to be buried in the Quincy . Cemetery when a strong oppo- sition arose to that plan. After heated debate, the unfortu- nate child was buried outside the cemetery fence. That pre- cipitated the formation of a Chinese cemetery the follow- ing year further up the hill and to the east, on the right side of Radio Hill Road. Today, the Quincy Cemetery is about full, and a new, mod- em style cemetery known as East Lawn was constructed in the late 1960s near the armory. To learn more about the de- ceased denizens of Quincy Cemetery, be sure to secure a ticket to the Sept. 18 event. The Quincy Cemetery hosts a number of striking headstones, like Cora Goodwin's (below). Others help document local history. Nellie Finlayson's (top left) is typical of a child's grave. Prepare your Home & Garden for fall! Promote your goods and services in this informative and colorful special section. Make sure your customers know they can find what they need LOCALLY! Deadline: Wed., Sept. 8 Publishes: Wed., Oct. 6 283-0800 258-3115 258-3115 436 Main Street, Quincy, CA 95971 530-283-1909 Now offering Art Classes! Life Drawing Instructors: Bill Peters and Dianne Lipscomb Eight 2-hour classes, Mondays, 6-8pm Bill will instruct: Sept. 13, 20, 27 & Oct. 4 Dianne will instruct: Oct. 11, 18, 25 & Nov. 1 price per student: $135 Maximum enrollment: 16 Beginning Watercolor Instructor: Carla DeBoer Four 3-hour classes, Thursdays, 5-8 pm Sept. 9, 16, 23, 30 price per student: $120 Minimum enrollment 10 Learning to Draw in 4 Easy Steps Instructor: Russ Flint Four 3-hour classes, Thursdays, 5-8pm August 5, 12, 19, 26 price per student: $120 Minimum enrollment: 10 Nature Journaling Instructor: Joe Willis Eight 2-hour classes, Wednesdays, 6-8pm September 8, 15, 22, 29, and October 6, 13, 20, 27 price per student: $120 Minimum enrollment: 10 All classes to be held at The Main Street Artists Gallery.