Newspaper Archive of
Feather River Bulletin
Quincy, California
September 24, 2014     Feather River Bulletin
PAGE 17     (17 of 42 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 17     (17 of 42 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
September 24, 2014

Newspaper Archive of Feather River Bulletin produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

Bulletin, Record, Progressive, Reporter Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2014 7B In some cases you can shoot deer from your porc,00 Porch hunting Question: I have a house on 5 acres in Northern California and have some really nice bucks on my land. EVery day they come within a few feet of my house and graze on my garden and plants. If I purchase an A zone tag this year, can I legally shoot a deer on my land from my house or porch? My house is situated more than 200 yards from any other property or house and it is outside of the city limits, Thanks. --Brian T. Answer: Yes, The safety zone law prohibits shooting within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling without the permission of the occupant. As long as it is otherwise legal to discharge a firearm in this area (e.g., not in the city limits or not prohibited by county ordinance), then go for it! Lake fishing regulations Question: The local municipal water district operates a nearby lake that is open to the public for fishing and day use. My question is regarding the regulations set for this lake. The maximum CALIFORNIA OUTDOORS CARRIE WILSON California Dept. of Fish & Wildlife daffy catch limit is lower than the limits the California Department of Fish and Wildlife authorizes. Do they have the authority to do this? Who has the ultimate jurisdiction in this matter? --Roger S. Ojai Answer: Yes, this is legal for them to do. Private lake managers can be more restrictive than CDFW regulations but not less restrictive. It is their prerogative to impose more stringent regulations in the interest of better managing their individual waters than what the state requires for managing California's fisheries statewide. Sorry, I'm sure this isn't what you'd hoped to hear. For further clarification, please contact your local wildlife officer. Trap squirrels and possums Question: I live in a city in Southern California and have an avocado tree in my yard. Squirrels and possums have been a big problem recently. May I use a Havahart trap to catch them and then transport them to a more rural location a few miles away? --David S. Answer: Yes, most squirrels and possums can be trapped, but tree squirrels will need a depredation permit. When trapping wildlife, traps must be checked every 24 hours and the animals either dispatched or released in the immediate area. According to CDFW Statewide Wildlife Rehabilitation Coordinator Nicole Carion, squirrels and possums that have caused property damage can be trapped by legal means (Fish and Game Code, section 4180). They can either be humanely euthanized or released in the immediate area. "Immediate" is not defined in regulations but the immediate area means "near" and most importantly CDFW reminds hunters about wasting disease The California Department of Fish and Wildlife is asking hunters to help prevent the introduction of chronic wasting disease into California. CWD is a neurologic disease that is fatal to deer, elk and moose. Out-of-state big game hunters should review CDFW's hunting regulations regarding interstate transport of deer and elk before bringing game meat across state lines. "If an infected carcass is transported into California and is improperly,tip0s0d of, m deer or ellvhabfta, t cotdd result in infection of California cervids," said CDFW senior wildlife veterinarian Dr. Ben Gonzales. "if it enters the state, CWD has the potential to devastate our cervid populations and severely impact deer and elk hunting in California." California hunting regulations specifically prohibit importing brain or spinal cord tissue from deer and elk harvested outside of California to minimize the risk of introducing CWD into the state. Hunters are encouraged to only bring back deboned elk or deer meat. Wardens have the authority to inspect harvested game and conduct vehicle stops when successful hunters return to California. It is unlawful to import or possess any hunter-harvested deer or elk carcass or parts of any cervid carcass imported into the state, except for the following body parts: Portions of meat with no part of the spinal column, brain or head attached (other bones, such as legs and shoulders, may be attached). --Hides and capes (no spinal column, brain tissue or head may be attached). --Clean skull plates (no brain tissue may be present) with antlers attached. Antlers with no meat or tissue attached, except legally harvested and possessed antlers in the velvet stage are allowed, ff no meat, brain or other tissue is attached. Finished taxidermy mounts with no meat or .tissue attached (antlers in the velvet stage are allowed if no meat, brain or other tissue is attached). --Upper canine teeth (buglers, whistlers, ivories). California hunters who have been successful in other states must complete and return a declaration for entry form prior to returning home. The form is available at all CDFW regional offices and online at Failure to complete the form could result in a citation. CWD has been detected in free-ranging cervids in 19 states and two Canadian provinces: Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Saskatchewan and Alberta. There is no evidence the disease affects humans. A map of the areas infected with CWD can be found at within the normal home range of the animal. The home range of squirrels and possums varies depending on habitat and other factors Squirrels and possums may not be "relocated" long distances from where they were trapped for many reasons, the most important being to prevent the spread of disease. No matter how close or far a potential release site may be to the capture site, don't release any animal in any location for which you do not have specific authorization from the owner of the property, including government agencies on public land. It's not a law, just common courtesy! Also, please be very cautious about trapping in the springtime because this is when wild animals have offspring. Trapped nuisance wildlife cannot be taken to wildlife rehabilitators. Although rehabilitation facilities can take in orphaned wildlife, the orphaned animals will have a much higher chance of survival if they are raised by their wild mothers. Often wild animals only take up residence somewhere temporarily during the springtime. There are many humane options available for keeping out animals seeking shelter in homes and structures on private property. For more information on preventing wildlife access to human food sources, please visit our website at ucts.html. Abalone in the freezer Question: I have been an abalone diver for nine years now and always keep my abalone frozen in my freezer to enjoy until the next year's harvest. I am hearing mixed messages about the rules now and am confused as to whether it's legal to do that. I might have anywhere between one and 20 abalone in my freezer, all still tagged with the approwiate tag. Please conYLrm if it is legal to keep an overlimit of tagged abalone in my home. --BiII D. Answer: The limit is 'actually three abalone per day and in possession. This means that legally, one individual can have no more than three abalone in his or her possession (at the dive Site, at home, in your vehicle, in your freezer, etc.) at one time. You can still give away your abalone to friends or family members living in the same house with you. Each person may have no more than three abalone in his or her possession at any time. Carrie Wilson is a marine environmental scientist with the California Department ofFish and Wildlffa Whfle she cannot personally answer everyone's questions, she will select a few to answer each week in this oolunm. Contact her a t CalOutdoors@ wfldlifa II Q Professional, 1( Advanced cotc a Personalized service Equipment rental g We stock a wide variety of paints and sundry products/ - Local certified repair center for airless sprayers - A Division of Intermountain Enterprises, LLC QUINCY PAINT CENTER CHESTER PAINT CENTER 293 LAWRENCE ST., QUINCY 680 MAIN ST., CHESTER 530-283-9004 530-258-3038 In the old Quincy Lumber Building South of town, next to Thrift Store ] SUSANVILLE PAINT CENTER 2217 MAIN ST., SUSANVILLE 530-257-6078 Parking in the rear Plumas Rural Services Domestic Violence Services 4th Annual Domestic Violence START BY 5K WALK/RUN REGISTRATION $15.00 **Registration ends at 9:30 am on race day.** KIDS UNDERr12 ARE FREE! Registration includes: Drinks, WALK/RUN T-shirt, and Raffle Tickets AWARDS & PRIZES Prizes for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Place Runners! Awards/Raffle beginning at 11:30 am FREE T-SHIRT WITH REGISTRATION i Where: FRC Equine Facility Quincy, CA When: Saturday October 4, 2014 Start time: 10:00 a.m. To register for the walk/run, i  visit our. office at 711 E. Mmn St. or call i 530-283-5675 ext "812 B e fo re Win ter Call us today for a free estimate/ i